Any device that connects to a WiFi network must be identified on the network by a unique network address. This unique identifier, known as a Media Access Control (MAC) address, helps network administrators or observers track or profile the network activity of all users and location over time.
While you may not have to worry about the MAC address of your device most of the time, there are times when you need to know the MAC address of your network adapter. This way, you can identify the device or configure network permissions on your router.
Whatever the reasons you need your MAC address, we’ll show you several ways to do it on both Mac and PC.
What is a MAC address?
The MAC address has a unique 17-character character (00: 1A: C2: 9B: 00: 68, for example) that serves as a hardware identifier that is embedded in the network interface controller (NIC) card. of the computer.
The device manufacturer assigns it the unique identifier and permanently links it. This allows communication between devices on a local network to initiate a connection.
There are two main types of MAC addresses: Universally Managed Address (UAA) and Locally Managed Address (LAA).
The UAA is the most popular type, assigned by the device manufacturer, while the LAA changes the MAC address of your adapter. You can assign the LAA to your network device and it will replace the address assigned by the manufacturer.
The MAC address of the device is sometimes confused for the IP address although both are used to identify your device on the internet, but there are some important differences.
MAC addresses are permanently assigned by the device manufacturer to identify your machine to others, and are designed not to be modified. IP addresses manage the logical routing connection from your devices and networks, and they can change by location.
The MAC address of the device is used on your local network, while the IP address can be used worldwide to identify network devices.
How to find a MAC address on your PC or Mac
There are several reasons why you need to find out the MAC address of your device, such as:
How to Find a MAC Address on a Windows 10 PC
You can find MAC addresses on your Windows 10 PC using the settings, control panel, system information, command prompt, and PowerShell.
How to find a MAC address on your computer using the settings
- To do this, select Home> Settings> Network and Internet.
- Depending on your network connection, select Ethernet or WiFi.
- Select Hardware properties under your connection.
- Check the MAC address from your PC under the file Properties section.
How to find the MAC address on your computer using the control panel
- To do this, open it Control panel> Network and Internet.
- Select Networking and sharing center.
- Then select Change the adapter settings.
- Depending on your connection, double-click Ethernet or WiFi.
- Double-click WiFi and select Details.
- Check yours MAC address next Physical address.
How to find a MAC address on your computer using the command prompt
- To do this, type CMD in the search box and select Command Prompt> Run as administrator.
- Enter the file ipconfig / all order and press Enter. You will see the MAC addresses of each network card installed on your PC, as well as MAC addresses that are not associated with the hardware cards.
- Find the MAC address in the file Physical address rural area.
Note: If you want to clearly see the MAC information of the active network adapters, type getmac / v and press Enter.
How to find a MAC address on your computer using Windows PowerShell
- To do this, right-click Home> Windows PowerShell.
- Enter Get-NetAdapter order and press Enter.
- Check the network adapter MAC address. You will see a list of each network adapter configured on your PC along with its MAC addresses.
How to find a MAC address on your computer using system information
- To do this, type System information in the search bar and select it from the search results.
- Then expand the file Components and select the section Net section.
- Select Adapter, go to the network adapter and confirm the MAC address of the computer.
How to Find a MAC Address on a Mac
- To find the MAC address on the Mac computer, select Menu> System Preferences> Network.
- Select Advanced.
- Find the MAC address below Information or User / Advanced mode for a Mac running Open Transport or under the file Ethernet icon if your Mac is running MacTCP. You can also select the file WiFi to see the MAC address below the file WiFi address or Airport address display.
Know the MAC address of your computer
We hope you’ve found the MAC address for your PC or Mac Windows 10. Learn more about how MAC addresses work in our guides on how to change or falsify your MAC address determine your IP address from a MAC address.