Finding a way to talk to several people at once over the internet can be a bit tricky. If you’re trying to bring a group together this way, you’re probably looking to download some new, easy-to-use, effective software.
Two of the main programs for a virtual group chat, focused mainly on games, are TeamSpeak i Discord. They are two of the most popular programs for talking to other people. Both are different from each other, although they perform a similar task.
Depending on what you use the software for, the details of one or the other may be more helpful to you.
This article will weigh the differences between TeamSpeak and Discord, and the pros and cons of each, so you can decide which one best suits your needs.
This program is known for its gaming voice chat features as it is used in sports leagues to communicate during the game. With TeamSpeak, you can create or join servers, which is where you can communicate with other users.
If you want to create your own private server, you will need the hardware to do so in advance, but otherwise it is free using TeamSpeak. If you do not, you can host a server through TeamSpeak that will be public.
TeamSpeak is mainly used for in-game chats and has great overall voice quality. That’s why it’s great if you have a larger group of people trying to communicate through one game at a time. With TeamSpeak, you should be able to do this very smoothly.
These are the pros and cons of the program compared to Discord.
- High voice quality. TeamSpeak is known for having extremely high sound quality, which makes it a good choice if you have a large group, as you will be able to hear everyone clearly.
- Less bandwidth usage. If you care game lag occurrences while using a voice chat program, TeamSpeak does not cause much of this compared to Discord, as Discord has more features that can cause a delay during the game.
- An overlay within the game is available. If you use TeamSpeak while playing the game, there is an overlay that you can access while in the game. You can use it for text chat or to change any TeamSpeak settings you need.
- Lack of many text chat features. Text chat on TeamSpeak is quite broken down compared to Discord. If you don’t want a lot of frills for your text chat, you might prefer this.
- You have to pay for the servers. If you already have your own hardware to host a server, you can do so for free, but otherwise you will have to pay bandwidth fees to be able to host one through TeamSpeak.
Discord is very popular for voice chats. Although it started primarily with a game-based community, its use has spread so that you can find many different types of communities on the service. It looks a lot more like a social networking site than TeamSpeak.
At Discord, you can create or join servers for free. Within each server you can have different channels for different topics and set roles for server members. With Discord’s text chat features, such as being able to send photos and gifs easily, a fantastic social environment is created.
Here are some pros and cons of Discord compared to TeamSpeak.
- Intuitive user interface. Discord is very easy to use, even if you have never used a similar program. This makes it very easy to get started and use right away.
- Free servers. With Discord, you can host servers for free and you can also use all the software. There is an update you can pay called Discord Nitro, but it is not necessary to enjoy all the features of the program.
- Lots of text chat features. In addition to voice chat, Discord also has a powerful text chat system on each server. You can send emojis, gifs, photos, attach files and more. It is an ideal place to meet and communicate with users.
- Many users and communities. You can find a lot of servers in Discord where you can discuss almost any topic you want. The program has expanded from gaming communities and now many more people have started hosting different types of servers. There are places where you can just go and chat and make friends, talk about movies or books, music and more.
- Overlay the game. Like TeamSpeak, Discord also has its own overlay that can be accessed while playing. It is also fully customizable if you want the overlay to look certain when opened.
- The speaker prioritization system is missing. If you have a lot of people trying to chat by voice at the same time on the Discord channel, you might have problems. Discord can stifle someone if two people are talking at the same time, and compared to TeamSpeak, the voice quality is a bit lower. However, if you don’t have a lot of people in your voice chat, there shouldn’t be a lot of problems.
- Collects user data. Discord has confirmed that they are collecting user data. This includes your email, text chats, pictures, and voice chats. It is unknown whether this data is sold to third parties, but the company may use data from you and other users to determine its own future business model. Knowing this depends on whether you want to use the program or not.
Which program is better?
When it comes to this, choosing between TeamSpeak and Discord depends on what you want to use it for. If you have a small group with whom you want to chat, Discord is probably your best bet. Discord is also good if you’re more interested in text messaging and enjoy more of a social media environment.
If your main interest is to use a program that can connect teammates to play and you use voice chat consistently, TeamSpeak is a better option. With great voice quality and less danger of a delay, the program is definitely set to complement a multiplayer gaming experience.
Both programs have something to offer, so it’s about deciding which features work best for you.