He latest versions of Microsoft Office they have been stable and almost no problem. However, from time to time, Microsoft Word may not respond. It just gets stuck on a screen, whatever it does.
There are many reasons why Microsoft Word does not respond. Maybe there are problems with the add-ons you’ve installed? Or maybe the document you are trying to open is corrupted and causes Word to freeze?
Fortunately, there are several ways to troubleshoot these issues with Word on your computer.
Start Word in safe mode and turn off add-ons
One way to fix this when Microsoft Word does not respond is use safe mode. This mode allows you to open Word only with essential files and will help you solve any add-on issues with the application.
- Hold down the button Ctrl from the keyboard and click the button Word desktop shortcut.
- You will receive a prompt asking if you want to open Word in safe mode. Click on Yes to continue.
- Click on File at the top of the screen.
- Select Options from the left sidebar of the screen. It should be at the bottom of the list.
- On the next screen, click Complements option in the left sidebar.
- Find the Manage drop-down menu on the right side panel and click Wow next to.
- Uncheck all the add-ons on the screen and click OK.
- Launch Word in normal mode and should open.
Correct the corrupted Word document
If Word malfunctions or does not respond only to certain documents, there may be problems. One way to fix this is repair these corrupt documents and then open them with Word.
- Open Word on the computer. Use safe mode if normal mode does not work.
- Click on Open option in the left sidebar.
- Select Browse on the next screen to search for the problematic document on your computer.
- Go to the folder where the document is saved, select it and click on the arrow icon next to it Openi tria Open and repair.
- Word will open the document and repair it.
Repair the Microsoft Office suite
Problems related to Microsoft Office applications, including Word, are common, so these applications include a troubleshooting utility. You can access the utility and select the repair option it will do fix any issues with Office applications on the computer.
Use the control panel
- Open Control panel on the computer.
- Click on Uninstall a program option. Do not uninstall anything.
- Select Microsoft Office in the list and click Exchange at the top.
- Choose Quick repair in the box on the screen and click Repair.
- If Quick Repair did not resolve the issue, choose Online repair option.
- Start the file Configuration on your computer.
- Select Applications on the next screen.
- Find Microsoft Office in the list, select it and click Modify.
- Choose the Quick repair option to repair the Office package.
Change the default printer
One of the reasons why Microsoft Word does not respond is that you have a faulty printer set as the default printer on your computer. Word is fully integrated with the printers on your system, and any problems with the printers may cause Word not to respond.
If you select another printer as the default printer, the issue should be resolved.
- Open the file Configuration on your computer.
- Click on Devices on the next screen.
- Choose Printers and scanners from the left sidebar.
- Uncheck the Let Windows manage my default printer option.
- Find a printer that works in the list, click it, and choose Manage.
- Click on Set as default to set the printer that you recently selected as the default printer on your computer.
Update the printer drivers
If the printer drivers are out of date, they may cause Word to not respond, as the computer will not be able to communicate properly with the printer hardware. To fix this, you can update the printer drivers on your computer.
- Find and open Device Manager by searching Cortana.
- Select the printer from the list, right-click it and choose Update the driver.
- If you downloaded the drivers to your computer, select Locate the driver software on your computer.
- Select Automatically check for updated driver software if you do not already have the drivers.
Turn off the antivirus software
Some antivirus programs they are known to cause conflicts with various applications. Therefore, we suggest that you temporarily disable the antivirus program and check if this solves the problem with Word on your system.
Most antivirus programs can be disabled by right-clicking on the system tray icons and choosing Disable, Disable protection, or a similar option.
If Word starts responding after you turn off antivirus, Antivirus and Word do not work well together. You may want to remove the current antivirus program and replace it with another one.
Uninstall recent Windows and Office updates
If Word does not respond after an Office or Windows update, you can try uninstalling the update and see if this fixes the problem. This should work if the problem is caused by any of these updates.
- Launch Control panel on the computer.
- Click on Uninstall a program option.
- Select the file View installed updates option in the left sidebar.
- Select the update that you think is causing the problem and click Uninstall.
- Click on Yes in the prompt that appears on the screen to uninstall the selected update.
Reinstall Microsoft Office on your computer
Finally, if nothing works, you can do it uninstall Microsoft Office completely from the computer and then install it clean. This will fix any issues with Office and Word applications will no longer have any issues.
- Open Configuration to your PC.
- Select Applications on the next screen.
- Find Microsoft Office, click it and select Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall again to remove Office.
- Download Office as you normally would and install it on your PC.
Use the uninstall assistance tool
Microsoft has a dedicated uninstall tool to help you remove the Office package from your computer.
- Download and install the file Uninstall the support tool on the computer.
- Select the Office version and click Next.
- Check the box on the next screen and click Next.
- Restart your computer when prompted and let the tool remove Office completely.
Microsoft Word includes many features, but sometimes these features cause problems with basic software. If Word never responded to your computer, how did you fix the problem? Let us know in the comments below.