With so many different forms of social media available, it’s never been more important to create an audience by sharing your message across as many platforms as possible. Reddit is one of the most essential platforms, with thousands of different communities (called subreddits) on which you can post.
Some subreddits have a huge audience, which makes it easier to spread the message. Others are much smaller, with a niche audience focused on a central theme. This is where crossposting becomes essential. So if you want to know how to cross on Reddit, here’s what you’ll need.
What is a Reddit Crosspost?
When we talk about it crossposting, we refer to the process of posting the same Reddit post on several different subreddits. You can decide to do this if you want to reach similar audiences with your content, giving your content as many viewers (and commenters) as possible at a time.
By cross-publishing, you will publish the same publication (regardless of the content it contains) in several subreddits at once. Each publication is independent of the other; “Likes” and comments will not appear in every post (even if you link to the previous post).
This makes cross-publishing different from re-publishing. If you post on Reddit, repeat the post (with the same content) on the same subreddit, some time after the original post was posted. Cross-publishing, on the other hand, depends on publishing in a completely different subreddit.
However, if you are interested in cross-posting, you should consult the subredditing rules before doing so. Not all subreddits allow cross-posting (or re-posting), so you’ll need to check the rules. Otherwise, you can end up with a ban (or shadowban).
Link to existing posts and cross posts on Reddit
If you’re thinking about cross-posting on Reddit, you’ll need to remember the difference between cross-posting and linking to existing posts.
A cross message repeats the same message, including content. This may include a disclaimer, which warns the user that the post is a cross-post (or x-post) of the original, as well as a link.
Although a cross-post may contain a link to the original post, the link is not the focus, as you repeat the original content. This is not true for posts that only contain links, where clicking on the post title takes the user to the original post.
However, as with cross-posting, you must ensure that you have permission to link to another post in the same subreddit or in another. Each subreddit has its own rules about it, so review them first.
How to check subreddit rules for cross-publishing
As we mentioned, each subreddit has its own rules. Before you post, you need to make sure you understand the rules, as cross-posting on a subreddit doesn’t allow your post to be deleted and could result in a ban.
You can check the rules of a subreddit on the Reddit website. Whether you use the old or new Reddit interface, the rules can be seen on the right side of each subreddit page.
You can determine if the rules prohibit cross-posting or posting links here. If the rules aren’t clear (or if you’re not sure), you can check by sending a moderator. Below the subreddit rules you can see a list of moderators for each subreddit.
How to Crosspost to Reddit in a Web Browser
If you want to crosspost on Reddit, you can do so from your web browser on a PC or Mac.
- Start by opening the Reddit website and go to a subreddit page. You can do this manually (using the address bar) or use the Reddit search bar to access the subredit.
- On the subreddit page, open the post you want to publish. Below the contents of the list, select the file To share button. From the drop-down menu, select Crosspost option.
- If you are using the old Reddit interface, select Crosspost button in place.
- A la Create a crossbar , select a subreddit to publish your crosspost from the menu Choose a community dropdown menu. Subjects that cannot be published will be displayed in gray.
- If you are ready to publish, select the file Publication button. If the post needs approval first, select the file Publication request button in place.
- Once approved, the crosspost will appear in the new subreddit as a post with Crossposted by Tag.
Like Crosspost on Reddit on the mobile app
Mobile users can also crosspost using the Reddit mobile app. You will also need to sign in to do so with a suitable Reddit account. Depending on how much Reddit Karma you have and the subreddit itself, you may not be able to post until you’ve built up a reputation, so check it out first.
- Open the Reddit app to get started, using the search bar to find the subredit that contains the post you want to post.
- In the subreddit, select the file To share at the bottom right of each postcard.
- A la To share , select the menu Crosspost on Reddit option. This step will vary depending on whether you are using an Android or iPhone device.
- A la Choose a community , select the subreddit to which you want to make a cross message, and select the Publication option.
Creating a Reddit Audience
Once you’ve mastered crossposting on Reddit, you can log in to the platform and start generating audience around your content. You can advance things by scheduling Reddit posts in advance, or if you want to keep up to date with new posts, you can set up custom Reddit alerts.
Don’t forget to like and promote the posts you like, and if other users like your posts, you’ll earn Reddit Karma and Reddit Gold in the process. However, Reddit is not a platform for everyone, so if you can’t find interesting subreddits to join, you can delete your Reddit account However.