Windows 10 has an application called Camera which allows you to use your webcam to record videos and take photos. It is definitely better than having to download third-party webcam recording software with spyware or malware. In this article, I will guide you through the process of using the app and adjusting the various settings.
One of the problems with the new sliding interface in Windows 10 apps is that it is sometimes too simplistic and clean. They have literally removed buttons and other visuals that you would otherwise have expected. For example, there are literally three more buttons in addition to the picture and video buttons.
Note that if you want to add filters, edit them, crop them, or draw them in the image, you must use the attachment Pictures application in Windows 10.
Using the Windows 10 camera app
Before we get to that, let’s go through the basics. First, open the app, and if you don’t already have a webcam built or connected to your PC, you’ll see a simple black screen We can’t find your camera.
- Once you’ve connected your camera, you’ll be asked for permission to use your webcam in the Camera app.
- Once this is done, you should be able to see your webcam in a full screen window with a couple of buttons at the top and side:
Note that if your webcam doesn’t work with the Windows 10 camera app, it probably means that Windows 10 doesn’t recognize the webcam. This is probably because the driver is not compatible with Windows 10. You will need to go to the manufacturer’s website and see if they have a version of the driver for Windows 10. Otherwise, you just have to wait for it to be released.
Now here’s the fun part! How do I take a photo or video using the Widows 10 Camera app? Simply click or tap the camera icon to take a photo and click or tap the camcorder icon to start a video. By default, it will take a photo or video and then store it in the folder Camera roll in the folder Images folder. When you click, it will play a sound image, and then the image will slide from the screen to the lower right icon.
Note that on a tablet device, you will have a third icon that will allow you to take a panoramic photo. Also, you may need to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to display the application bar, which will allow you to change the camera (if there is more than one), set the time , change the exposure, etc.
- To make a video, you need to click Video mode button to turn white, and then click the button again.
- The timer will start at the bottom of the screen and all you have to do is click the button again to stop recording.
- If you click the small gear icon at the top right, you can adjust the settings. The first option is what happens when the camera button is held down. By default, it only takes one photo. You can change it to Photo explosion or Video.
Then, depending on the camera, you can choose the resolution to capture. You can then add a framing grid as an overlay to the camera. The options are Rule of thirds, gold ratio, Mirror i Square. This is useful if you are using the camera app on your tablet device, such as Surface Pro.
Then, if you set the timer to the camera app, which I explain below, you can make the camera app time out automatically. Therefore, if you set the timer every 5 seconds, it will continue to take pictures until you press the camera button again.
For videos, you can choose the recording quality, which will again depend on the camera connected to your computer or built into your device. To reduce blinking during video recording, choose the highest refresh rate. Also, if you have a tablet, be sure to turn it on Digital video stabilization when making videos.
Finally, there are some links below where you can change the default location where photos and videos are saved and choose whether or not the camera can use location information.
- Back on the main screen, click the small clock to set the timer. This will only be displayed when you are in image mode. Intervals you can choose are off, 2 seconds, 5 seconds, and 10 seconds.
- Click the arrow to expand the list and you will see one more icon that allows you to adjust the brightness. A semicircle appears and you can only click and drag along the circle to make adjustments.
- Once you’ve taken a photo or video, clicking the small icon at the bottom right will bring up the Photos app to view it. In addition, both images and videos are stored in Camera roll folder below Images.
This is pretty much the whole Camera app. Remember, to edit your photos or videos, you need to go to the Photos app. Enjoy!