Whether you want a meeting to be shared with your customers or you want to play a memorable video chat with family or friends, Skype call recordings make it possible with the click of a mouse.
Skype added the audio and video call recording feature in 2018 so you can save calls for future reference.
Recording calls via Skype is easy to do as long as everyone in the meeting knows and agrees to be recorded. This way, you can respect everyone’s privacy and avoid possible legal issues.
We will explain how to record Skype calls on Windows, Mac, iPhone and Android.
How to Record Skype Calls on Different Devices
The Skype call recording feature is available in PC, mobile, and web versions, so you can use it on a PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, or iPad. Here are some things to do before you start recording calls:
- Skype will notify all participants that the call is being recorded.
- You can only record Skype to Skype calls.
- For video calls, Skype combines all recording streams, including yours.
- If you share the screen during the meeting, the recording will include the shared screen.
- The maximum duration of a call recording is 24 hours. If it is longer than this, the recording can be divided into several files.
- Once you leave a call, recording stops automatically. It will be available for 30 days during which you can save, listen or share with others.
How to Record Skype Calls in Windows 10
If you use a Windows 10 PC, the recording is done in the cloud (Microsoft servers), where it stays for 30 days, so you don’t need local storage to save it.
- To get started, open it Skype and select the file audio or video call button to log in.
- Select the three-point button at the bottom right to open the file menu.
- Then select Start recording and Skype will start recording your audio or video call.
- Select the menu at the bottom right and select Stop recording. You can also select Stop recording at the top left of the screen.
- Once you stop recording, you’ll see the audio or video conversation in the Skype chat box. From here you can save, play, share or download it manually to store it on your computer.
You can download or delete Skype call recording.
- To download the recording, go to Recent chats, select the conversation and right-click on the recording to display the menu. Select the file menu> Save to downloads.
Choose the folder destination where you want to save the recording, give it a descriptive file name, and select Desa. The file will be saved as an MP4 file.
- To delete Skype call recording, go to Recent chats, right-click the recording you want to delete and select Delete from the menu.
- Select Delete to completely delete the recording of Skype’s chat history.
How to Record Skype Calls on Mac |
Recording a Skype call on a Mac is as easy to do as it is with a Windows 10 PC.
- Start the Skype audio or video call on your Mac. Select the file + at the bottom right of the screen, then select Start recording to record the session. All participants will receive a notification via a banner at the top of the screens indicating that you are recording the current session.
- Just before the session ends, select Stop recording at the top of the screen or just end the call.
- Go to chat and select menu> More options> Save to downloads to save the recording.
Note: You can also record your audio or video calls for free using your Mac’s QuickTime player. Open QuickTime on your Mac, select File> New screen recording.
Select the file Recording to start recording your Skype call, then select the button Stop to stop recording or press Command+Ctrl+To escape on the keyboard.
How to Record Skype Calls on Android
- To start recording Skype calls on an Android device, open Skype, tap the address book, and select contact you want to call.
- Then tap the button video or audio call button to start the call, then tap the button three points at the bottom right of the screen to open the file menu.
- Faucet Start recording and the call will be recorded. Your contact will be notified that you are recording the call.
- When you are logged out, tap Stop recording at the top left. You can also tap the button menu at the bottom and then tap Stop recording.
The recording will be available for saving or sharing in your Skype chat history. To save, share, or delete the recording, touch and hold the recording in the chat box to show it Save, forward, o Delete options.
How to Record Skype Calls on the iPhone
With a simple tap, you can record Skype calls on your iPhone instead of trying to take notes to capture everything.
- To get started, open it Skype and initiate an audio or video call with your contacts. Tap the three dots at the bottom right of the screen to open the file Menu.
- Faucet Start recording once the caller joins. When you sign out, your recording will be available in the Skype chat area.
- You will receive a notification at the top left of the screen to confirm that recording has begun. Press and hold the recording to save it to your device or share it with others.
Note: If you are not using Skype version 8.0, you may not be able to record any audio or video calls. In this case, you can use a third-party application such as the free one Skype MP3 recorder, which works with Skype version 7 and is free for non-commercial use. Other applications of this type are: Pamela by Skype i Evaer Skype Recorder.
Skype call log for future reference
If you generally use Skype to record meetings, video conferences, or interviews, having a native recorder makes Skype feel like an all-in-one package.
The old version needed third-party recorders, but some of them could be complicated especially with video calls. See our other guides at how to record a FaceTime call and other VOIP calls, how to record the registry on a Mac, how to record a Zoom meeting, and the best screen recorders for windows 10.