Slack is one of the most popular collaboration tools for teams to work together. While all of Slack’s native features are useful, you can also add them to various Slack application integrations.
One of the most useful is the integration of Google Calendar into Slack. Once enabled, you can use Slack to create, delete, or receive notifications of calendar appointments and events.
Adding an integration only takes a few clicks. In this article you will learn how Slack Calendar integration works and all the features you get once you activate it.
Enabling Slack Calendar integration
To get started, sign in to your Slack computer account.
- Select Configuration and administrationand then select Manage applications.
- Use the search field at the top to search for “Calendar”. You will see a list of calendar applications that work with Slack. In this case, we will integrate Google Calendar, so select Google Calendar.
- In the next window, select Add to Slack a to finish activating Slack Calendar integration.
- A permissions page will open where you can review all the permissions that Google Calendar needs to access your Slack account. Select Allow to allow all permissions.
- Next, you’ll need to select the Google Account you want to use for this Google Calendar integration.
- Once you’ve selected your Google Account, just select it Allow once again to give Slack permission to access your Google Calendar account.
When you’re done, you’ll see the app channel in your Slack account. The Messages tab will already contain a list of comments that will help you get started with the new Slack Calendar integration.
To make this integration easier to use, we’ll review the basic features and how you can use them from Slack.
Slack Calendar integration settings
In the Google Calendar Slack channel, select About card.
Here you will see instructions showing all the features available with this application integration.
If you want to make any changes to the initial integration settings, select the file Configuration on this page.
This will show you the Google Calendar integration you approved, with the option to revoke this authorization at any time if you wish.
You can also view and manage all slack members to whom you want to provide permissions to make changes to Google Calendar or view events with Slack.
If all goes well, go back to the Google Calendar Slack channel to start using the app.
With the Google Calendar Slack app
On the Home tab you can review all events in today’s or tomorrow’s calendar by selecting Today or Tomorrow button.
Select the blue link for any of the upcoming events to open the Google Calendar page with the details of the event or appointment.
If you want to see events for another day, you can use the file Select a date drop-down and use the calendar widget to choose any other calendar date.
Just select any day to see the list of events for that day that will be shown on the Slack channel.
You can also create a new event in your Google Calendar account by selecting Create an event. A Create Event window will open where you can fill in all the information needed to create a new event in your Google Calendar account.
The best part of this is that you can create new events in Google Calendar without ever leaving Slack. Just fill in all the details and select To create button.
Now, when you sign in to your Google Calendar account, you’ll see the new event appearing on your calendar on the date you assigned it from Slack.
Using the GCal command
There is also a shortcut command that you can type in any Slack channel to view the day’s events. Just type the command / gcal and you’ll see a drop-down menu with several options.
These options include:
- Type / gcal today or / gcal tomorrow to see upcoming events for either day
- Select Create an event with Google Calendar to open the Create Event window in Slack
If you write / gcal settings, you’ll see a list of buttons and options for quickly changing your Slack Google Calendar app settings.
You can use any of the drop-down buttons or settings to change the settings from the message.
These parameters include:
- Changing the calendar application notification settings
- Disconnect the current calendar from the Calendar application
- Change the synced calendar to a different calendar in your Google Calendar account
- Turn calendar synchronization on or off so that Slack’s status is updated based on your current calendar events
You can also access your Google Calendar app settings by going to the Google Calendar channel and selecting Home card. Then select the file Configuration button.
This will bring up the settings window, where you can view and update all the same settings from the Google Calendar app.
Why is Slack Calendar integration useful?
When using Slack as a collaboration tool, it is very useful to have a feature for creating and managing appointments and team events. Slack Calendar integration adds this feature to Slack in a fairly simple and easy to use way.
Once you’ve started using this Google Calendar integration in Slack, you’ll wonder how you ever got along with Slack without it.